Parenting & Childbirth Classes
Contact Our Team
Our maternity program offers a robust Expecting Mothers and Family Education Program. The program includes childbirth classes, baby care and parenting instruction, breastfeeding support and more resources to help you prepare for your new role with confidence.
Education You Need For Your New Arrival
- Preparing for Labor & Parenthood: Led by Melissa Dinunno, CNM, this six-class series offers expert advice on all aspects of parenthood, from pregnancy through breastfeeding and newborn essentials. This series is held virtually via Zoom. Classes begin July 26, 2021. Registration is required.
- Childbirth Preparation Class: This course will help you understand and prepare for the labor and birth process. We will review coping skills including breathing and relaxation techniques and guided imagery exercises. We’ll also discuss medical considerations and immediate newborn care and breastfeeding. A tour of the maternity suite, including labor and delivery and postpartum areas is also included.
- Ready for Breastfeeding: In this class board-certified lactation consultants and experienced nurses teach proper positioning, feeding frequency, the importance of skin-to-skin contact and more helpful tips to promote a successful breastfeeding experience.
- Newborn Essentials: This hands-on class will prepare you for caring for your baby the first six weeks after birth. Using a doll model, you will practice the basics of diapering, bathing, umbilical cord care, and gas relief techniques. A pediatrician will present and will answer questions as well. You will learn proven methods for comforting your crying baby, the latest guidelines for safe sleep, the essentials of car seat safety, and more.
- Infant/Child CPR and Safety: The Family & Friends® CPR Course teaches child CPR, infant CPR and relief of choking in a child or infant. Skills are taught in a dynamic group environment by using the American Heart Association’s research-proven practice-while-watching technique, which provides students with the most hands-on CPR practice time possible. Family & Friends® CPR is for people who want to learn CPR but do not need a course completion card in CPR for their job. This course is ideal for new parents, grandparents, babysitters and others interested in learning how to save a life. In addition to CPR, this course will cover safety topics such as baby proofing your home, home safety supplies, poison prevention, the essentials of car seat safety, and more!
Class Fees, Insurance Coverage and Financial Assistance
Each class includes registration fees ranging from $35-$99. With the exception of the Infant/Child CPR and Safety class, the fee covers the expectant mother and one support person.
- Childbirth Preparation - $99.00 (fee covers the expectant mother and one support person)
- Newborn Essentials - $35.00 (fee covers the expectant mother and one support person)
- Ready for Breastfeeding - $40.00 (fee covers the expectant mother and one support person)
- Infant/Child Safety and CPR - $45.00 (per person cost)
Many insurance policies and Flexible Spending Account (FSA) programs will cover at least a portion of the classes. Check with your insurance provider and/or Human Resources department to find out if you are eligible for reimbursement. Following class completion, you will receive a certificate to submit to your insurance provider. Be sure to keep your email confirmation as your receipt of payment.
South Shore Health employees are eligible for a 50 percent discount on our Childbirth Preparation, Newborn Essentials and Ready for Breastfeeding classes. In order to get the discount, you must contact the Childbirth Education Department so we can verify your employment with the Health System.
If you have difficulty registering for a class or are a South Shore Health System employee registering for a discounted class, please call (781) 624-3300 or email us at childbirth [at] southshorehealth.org.