Cauliflower Pizza Crust [Recipe]
Looking for a healthier, lighter option for pizza? Try this cauliflower pizza crust recipe originally published on Hungry Girl.
Cauliflower has gained huge popularity for its versatility, as well as its low calorie and carbohydrate content. This flavorful crust is a healthy alternative to traditional pizza, it’s is easy to make, and will satisfy your pizza cravings.
- 5 cups roughly chopped cauliflower (about 1 medium head)
- 1/4 cup (about 2 large) egg whites
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Working in batches as needed, pulse cauliflower in a food processor until reduced to the consistency of coarse breadcrumbs. Transfer cauliflower to a large microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave for 3 1/2 minutes. Uncover and stir. Re-cover and microwave for another 3 1/2 minutes, or until hot and soft.
- Transfer cauliflower to a fine-mesh strainer, and thoroughly drain. Using a clean dish towel (or paper towels), press out as much moisture as possible. (Or, wrap cauliflower in a clean dish towel and wring it out until all the excess liquid is gone—there will be a lot of excess liquid.) Return cauliflower to the bowl, and add remaining crust ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
- To form the crusts, evenly divide cauliflower mixture into two circles on the parchment-lined baking sheet, each about 1/4-inch thick and 7 inches in diameter. Bake until the tops have browned, about 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine crushed tomatoes, garlic powder, onion powder, and Italian seasoning. Mix well.
- Spread seasoned tomatoes over each crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Sprinkle with cheese and basil. Bake until cheese has melted and crust is crispy, 5 - 7 minutes.
Yields 2 servings
Serving Size: 1 pizza (1/2 of recipe)
Sat Fat: 6.5g