Apple-Cinnamon Quinoa Bowl [Recipe]
Looking for a homemade, protein-rich breakfast dish? Try this Apple-Cinnamon Quinoa Bowl, originally published on EatingWell.com.
It combines the flavor of cinnamon spice with the natural sweetness of apples. The recipe requires only two simple steps and can be customized to fit your dietary needs. If you use soy or almond milk, choose an unsweetened version to avoid the added sugars.
The nutrition team at South Shore Health recommends this early morning dish, to start your day with a nutrient-rich breakfast alternative.
The whole grains, milk, and nuts provide enough protein and fiber to keep you satiated. You can even prepare this dish the night before and heat it up in the morning.
- ¾ cup low-fat milk, soy milk or almond milk
- ⅔ cup diced apple, divided
- ¼ cup quinoa
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons sliced almonds
- Combine milk, ⅓ cup apple, quinoa, cinnamon and salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on very low heat until the liquid is absorbed, about 12 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes. Top with the remaining ⅓ cup apple, and almond slices.
Serving Size: 1 cup