The Department of Neurology at Brigham and Women's Hospital provides clinical services at South Shore Hospital, including outpatient evaluation and management, second opinions for complex cases, diagnostic testing, and comprehensive neurological care for diseases of the brain, spine and peripheral nerves. Our specialists in general neurology are skilled at treating a wide range of neurological disorders and have access to a full range of specialists. When appropriate, we will refer patients to Brigham and Women’s Hospital.
Our skilled team treats a variety of neurological conditions including:
- Movement Disorders: Evaluation and treatment of movement disorders, including EMG directed botulinum toxin injections and evaluation for procedures such as deep brain stimulation (surgery performed at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital and programming performed at South Shore Hospital).
- Stroke: Evaluation and treatment of acute stroke and patients with cerebrovascular disease. We also provide ongoing care of patients who have suffered a stroke. Patients may be referred to Brigham and Women’s Hospital for intra-arterial tPA and vascular and endovascular procedures.
- Epilepsy: Evaluation and treatment of patients with epilepsy, including evaluation for epilepsy surgery (performed at Brigham and Women’s Hospital). Vagal nerve stimulation (VNS) programming services are offered at South Shore Hospital. Our services also include access to ambulatory EEG and long-term inpatient monitoring with EEG and video, when necessary.
- Sleep Neurology: We offer a state-of-the-art neurophysiology lab to evaluate patients with sleep disorders. Studies can also be done at home. Our Sleep Center is accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine and evaluates and treats complex sleep disorders and provides durable equipment.
- Neuromuscular/EMG: Evaluation and treatment of neuromuscular disease (neuropathies, myopathies, diseases of the neuromuscular junction), including electromyography (EMG) services. Studies are conducted by physicians who are board certified in electrodiagnostic medicine.
- Cognitive and Behavioral: Evaluation and treatment of patients with Alzheimer's, dementia and post-concussion syndrome.
To schedule an appointment, please call the South Shore Hospital Neurology Department at 781-624-8448 or South Shore Neurology Associates at 781-331-4923.
Michael Hayes, MD
It’s most gratifying being able to offer a premier level of neurology subspecialty care closer to home.
Sandra Horowitz, MD
I am passionate about treating the root issues affecting quality of sleep so I can help my patients finally get a good night’s sleep.
Sleep Lab Coordinator
For your brain and body to function as a healthy system, it needs to reboot by sleeping.