Institutional Review Board
South Shore Health's Institutional Review Board (IRB) is responsible for protecting the interests of research participants and reviews, monitors and approves all research at our institution. The IRB includes clinicians, health system administrators, and community members.
The IRB is committed to upholding the regulatory and ethical standards that support clinical research. The IRB and its board are registered with the Office of Human Subjects Protections (OHRP) within the United States Department of Health and Human Services: IORG #0002027, FWA #00005520.
South Shore Health’s IRB meetings are not open to the public. The 2020 calendar for convened meetings is listed below. Studies that qualify for expedited review are reviewed on a rolling basis.
- January 2, 2020 (Deadline for submission: December 19, 2019)
- March 5, 2020 (Deadline for submission: February 20, 2020)
- May 7, 2020 (Deadline for submission: April 23, 2020)
- July 2, 2020 (Deadline for submission: June 18, 2020)
- September 3, 2020 (Deadline for submission: August 20, 2020)
- November 5, 2020 (Deadline for submission: October 22, 2020)
The IRB uses IRBNet to manage all submissions. All researchers are strongly encouraged to reach out to the SSH IRB office to discuss their study prior to electronic submission in order to ensure they submit the correct documents.
If the incorrect documents are submitted, or if documents are incomplete, the submission will be returned to the researcher which may cause delays in the review and approval process.
If you have questions for the IRB, please call: Stephanie Smith, (781-624-4369).