South Shore Health is working tirelessly to provide timely COVID-19 testing to the community. Due to nationwide shortages in testing supplies and backlogs in testing labs, the situation changes frequently.
Drive-thru testing at South Shore Medical Center
South Shore Health offers drive-thru PCR testing at South Shore Medical Center in Norwell. However, the turnaround time for these tests has been more than 7 days due to vendor delays.
Unfortunately, we cannot prioritize testing for asymptomatic patients, even those who need tests to return to work, school, or emerge from travel order quarantine due to priority needs for our symptomatic and surgical patients.
Rapid COVID-19 Testing at Health Express
South Shore Health’s urgent care, Health Express, offers a limited number of faster turnaround tests.
We are waiting for a shipment of tests that provides results in as little as 15 minutes from our vendor.
In the meantime, Health Express now offers a send out COVID-19 PCR test that provides results via to Quest Diagnostics' secure portal within an estimated 72 hours. Symptomatic healthcare workers, with identification, can receive results as soon as 24 hours.
There are a few things to keep in mind.
- These tests are available only at the Health Express locations in Abington and Weymouth.
- Due to nationwide shortages, Health Express has a limited number of tests, so patients must schedule an appointment on the Health Express website.
- Please like Health Express on Facebook for updates on availability.
- Medical insurance will cover the test if you are: Exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms, such as fever, cough, fatigue, loss of taste/smell, difficulty breathing, or nausea; if you have a known exposure to someone diagnosed with COVID-19; or if you are testing with the Massachusetts Department of Public Health for contact tracing purposes.
- If you do not have symptoms and need the test for only for screening purposes, such as returning to school or related to the travel order, insurance will not cover the visit.
- Health Express's send-out test costs $180.00, which includes the exam by the provider and the test.
Click the button at the top of the Health Express homepage to schedule a test.
We are working to support as many patients as possible as the demand for testing grows, and we’re grateful to our community for their patience.