South Shore Health is working tirelessly to provide timely COVID-19 testing to the community. Due to nationwide shortages in testing supplies and backlogs in testing labs, the situation changes frequently.
COVID-19 Testing at Health Express
Members of the community who want to be tested for COVID-19 should visit Health Express, part of South Shore Health.
Health Express offers both a send-out PCR test that provides results via to Quest Diagnostics' secure portal within an estimated 72 hours and a limited number of rapid, 15-minute COVID-19 tests.
Symptomatic healthcare workers, with identification, can receive results as soon as 24 hours.
There are a few things to keep in mind.
- These tests are only available at the Health Express locations in Abington and, temporarily, Weymouth. Testing has been moved to Weymouth after storm damage at our Braintree location. Testing will return to the Braintree location once it reopens.
- Due to nationwide shortages, Health Express has a limited number of tests, so patients must schedule an appointment on the Health Express website.
- Please like Health Express on Facebook for updates on availability.
- Medical insurance will cover the test if you are: Exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms, such as fever, cough, fatigue, loss of taste/smell, difficulty breathing, or nausea; if you have a known exposure to someone diagnosed with COVID-19; or if you are testing with the Massachusetts Department of Public Health for contact tracing purposes.
- If you do not have symptoms and need the test for only for screening purposes, such as returning to school or related to the travel order, insurance will not cover the visit.
- Health Express's send-out test costs $180.00, which includes the exam by the provider and the test.
Click the button at the top of the Health Express homepage to schedule a test.
Testing for South Shore Medical Center Patients
Patients who have a primary care provider at South Shore Medical Center and are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms should contact their provider to schedule a telehealth visit. If necessary, your provider will refer you for COVID-19 testing.
South Shore Medical Center patients who are not experiencing symptoms or who require tests for travel, work, or school-related reasons should schedule appointments to be tested at Health Express.